- Meridian Academy is a private, accredited, online high school based in Houston, Texas. Meridian Academy exists to assist students in achieving their educational and career goals by providing rigorous, relevant, cutting-edge, technology-based education and instruction within a unique digital learning environment tailored to deliver individualized engaging instruction under the direction of dedicated, highly qualified and experienced administrators and educators. Our vision is to provide our students with equitable learning opportunities, lofty expectations, growth mindsets, supportive learning teaching and tools, real-world active and collaborative learning experiences, progress monitoring and assessments, as well as performance improvement-driven feedback they need to succeed within a digital learning environment.
- Meridian Academy was founded as St. Michael’s Learning Academy (SMLA) in Houston, Texas, December of 2008. SMLA was accredited in 2011 by AdvancED SACS CASI (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement). In 2020, we changed the name of our school to Meridian Academy and decided to pursue Cognia accreditation as a digital learning environment. Meridian Academy is also a member of Texas Private School Accreditation Commission (TPSAC). School code: 101-106-001.
- Meridian Academy’s culture and digital learning platform are founded on Vygotsky's social theories that propose meaning and knowledge are socially created constructs. We implement our beliefs by creating a culture where our 9th through 12th-grade students have the opportunity to feel a sense of social presence, cognitive presence, and place/teacher presence during their online learning and engagement. We encourage our students to become self-directed, lifelong learners prepared to achieve their personal and educational goals.
Accredited and Governed by
Click each logo below for details.
Cognia is a non-profit, non-governmental organization that accredits primary and secondary schools throughout the United States and internationally. Founded in 2006, Cognia represents more than 36,000 institutions with a total of 25 million students and 5 million educators in about 80 counties.
Our Simple Three-Step Process
Students are initially assessed by our admission committee based on their previous educational high school transcripts, records, reference letters, as well as their path to graduation and entrance assessment.
Our admissions team goes to work and creates a personalized learning plan based on each student's competencies and how far along they are toward their path to graduation.
“The Meridian Way” approach integrates our Canvas digital learning environment with TEKS-aligned McGraw-Hill content. We also embed scaffolding, learner supports, social-emotional learning, and peer asynchronous and synchronous collaborative learning. Students complete research-based, higher-order thinking and critical reflections assignments. Through a partnership with Lone Star College, we also offer dual credit courses to qualified 9th to 12th-grade students as a stairstep toward future CCMR readiness.
Students who successfully complete our program are more readily prepared to take state tests such as the:
- Texas Success Initiative (Community College)
- ASVAB test for the military
Over the past 10 years, we have provided more than a thousand students a second chance opportunity to earn and obtain their High School diploma. Our graduates leave with a new direction and purpose while holding a High School diploma!
Meridian Academy (MA), formerly named St. Michael’s Learning Academy (SMLA), was founded December 27, 2008. We are a private, for-profit high school owned and operated by Zack Zakhem and Christine Aboud, who have collectively served and worked in the business, professional, and academic communities for more than 40 years. MA and its owners have a commitment to support and promote the advancement of individuals’ education and the Houston area community.
CEO and Co-Founder
“Well-organized. They have great passion for programs, the youths and others they work with!”
— Phil J., Parent of a 2017 Graduate
Ready to Enroll Today?
Contact us now for a free educational assessment and to see if you qualify for financial assistance.